What is Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Insurance?

When it comes to auto insurance, one of the main issues raised is what happens if an uninsured vehicle driver damages one’s property and how will that damage be covered.  Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverages are meant to protect you financially from drivers who, out of irresponsibility, are uninsured or underinsured and have inflicted damage upon your property.

# what-is-collision-insuranceIf you get caught up in an accident and you are not at what would normally happen is that you would file a claim with the at-fault driver’s car insurance company, get your car fixed, and receive compensation for any financial losses such as medical expenses. If the other driver is at fault, you are under no obligation to pay out of your own pocket in order to cover expenses. But in some cases, the driver who caused the wreckage does not have car insurance, or has too little of it.

Unfortunately that can be more common than one might expect. It is estimated that one in seven drivers happens to be uninsured. And minimum liability requirements do not always offer enough coverage after a car accident.

Uninsured motorist coverage will cover your losses you if you are in an accident with an at-fault driver who does not carry liability insurance, while underinsured motorist coverage will help you if you get caught in an accident with an at-fault driver whose liability limits are too low to cover the damage or medical expenses. The at-fault driver’s insurance will have to pay for all damages up to the policy limits, and then your underinsured motorist coverage will cover the excess amount up to your selected limits.

To learn more, visit our homepage!